The goal of the annual Symposium is to provide Trainees an opportunity to:
- Improve their communication skills by presenting their research to a campus-wide audience,
- Engage in event planning and participate in professional development activities, and
- Network with invited speakers.
Participation and planning:
- All Trainees will participate in and engage the speakers in the symposium each year.
- Trainees will work with Trainers to determine the list of speakers with diverse career paths and invite them to present the state-of-the-art research problems with broader societal impacts.
- The event will be broadly advertised, and non-Trainees can register and participate which will provide an opportunity for trainees to communicate their research more broadly.
- Trainees will act as hosts for speakers and session chairs and this provides opportunities for interaction between Trainees and invited speakers – experiences that are expected to further improve Trainees' skills in communication, management, and leadership.